Sunday, April 7, 2013

And... for the win!

Tails and Trail 5K Trail Race today...
Having finished "Born to Run" I decided today I was going to run hard and fast.
It's not my comfortable distance at all... I prefer at least 15K just to get into my comfortable zone and a 5k is a pretty much flat out hard sprint... on trails at least I think I have an advantage for sure.
Novia came too which was awesome.
They announced there would be some "surprising" hills too and that made me happy.
People wither on hills. It's a mental kick in the ballsack. Not me.
Hills create space.


So off I started at the front of the pack and watched a handful of sub 20's runners sprint ahead... not my game and no chance at them. I ran a fast first mile, getting a feel for the terrain and course and was breathing hard, and had to really focus. That's the point where I normally slow too much on this distance (or have in the past).. then my age group more seasoned runners pass me.
3 of them did, but I made sure to keep them in sight. I wanted this and I was ok with them ahead. After passing me they did not continue to stretch the lead. I knew this was good and I could pace them and keep some in the tank.

I overtook 2 of them around the 2 mile mark on a hill. (shocker) the fast stepping hill running pays off for sure as you expend so much less energy than long striding it and using your quads.
Then I picked up the pace to distance them.

Next was what I figured was perhaps the only guy ahead of me in my age group. I started creeping on his just before the half-mile left point. He looked over his shoulder twice and saw me gaining.
I caught up and paced him for maybe 20 seconds, nodded hello.
I self-checked my energy. Yep. Good. Then kicked into a sub-7min run to the end. He tired for maybe 20 strides, but couldn't do it. Probably the hills got him.
By the time I finished, he was 1.5 min back and no one in sight of my finish.
1st place in my age group and 10th overall. I actually would have got 2nd in the 30-39 group as well... the kids at the beginning won the race... 19-25yr olds. Good on em.
Like I said, I'm a distance runner, not a speed runner. Ok, maybe just today.
I was really delighted. The next 4 runners behind me were ALL in my age bracket. These would have been the guys in the past that passed ME in the last mile.
Reesa was there and took great pics and it was awesome to have her support and encouragement, and for her to see me WIN!!!!



2 comments: