Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 3

Day 3: Cardio Power and Resistance

As the afternoon hours wore on and I occasionally hobbled down the hallway at work to get water or try to keep loose, the day 3 workout loomed in my mind. I could barely walk and I knew I was in for another grueling workout.
I scrolled the internet a bit, looking for helpless saps like me who were in their first week. Was this normal? I mean, the calves so burnt I could barely walk?
Yes was the unanimous answer. And this will go on every day mostly likely for 7-10 days. Great.

So day 3 indeed.
This is my charming work-out zone in the basement... post mordern ironic is the decorating style:



Once the warmup and stretching portion began I felt a little more optimistic. I was moving at least.

*insert 35 minutes of hell*

pushups, tricep squats, globe jumps, jumping squats, hurdles, sprints, moving pushups... and other nameless movements that I only know as "you're fucking kidding me- THIS again?"

Again, the same plan. I rotaion of a motion as many as possible in a minute, then 5 other ones the same way. 30 seconds rest, then set 2, rest, set 3, increasing the pace.  Then that same plan with different moves, then again with different moves... escalating difficulty. Then, gratefully, when I thought I could sweat no more... the cool down run and stretching...

I had to stop maybe 4 times this time... better than yesterday... and I did really well at the globe jumps (that I sucked at on my fitness test)

Since I write this just after finishing, I'm probably too optimistic... but once I got moving, I forgot all about not being able to move.. we'll see how that attitude holds up in a couple of hours...my head still feels like it has been punched a few times at the base of my skull and my face is beet red.

3/60... one more step.

2 comments:

  1. The first couple week will be the hardest. After that it will just be hard. Great work! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, pal. I appreciate the encouragement. When I'm done week 1 I'll talk a little bit about the mental challenges as a whole... I've had some particular experiences so far that have been different from my normal "pushing through" experience.

    ReplyDelete