Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Just a Couple of Thoughts

I've been so busy lately that I've been rushing the daily entry for the most part. It's inevitable.
Long busy day at work then the workout.
I just thought I take a moment for a snapshot of 3 weeks in.

I was talking to a work-friend how had his 1st day of P90X yesterday. (this is a 90 day program more focused on building muscle... they call it the prep for Insanity from a fitness standpoint)
Anyway, he was describing the agony and near-vomiting and how badly his system is shocked.
He's aware of my Insanity program so I gave him some motivation on getting through the first week.
My advice is simple (thanks Yoda) "There is no try". Don't skip a day. Don't make excuses. Just make the time every day. That's the only path for success. When I say that, I don't mean you can't achieve goals if you miss a day. Shit happens. Things come up... what I mean is those things MUST be super-urgent or unexpected.
I also don't mean there's no value in taking 90 days to do a 60 day program. Of course there is.
What I mean is: you'll NEVER know what a 60 day program can do for you if you don't do it in 60 days.
So opening the door easily to skipping days is failing in my opinion.
Maybe it sounds sanctimonious, but I don't mean it that way.
From my experience, Week 1 is brutal, but it gets SO much better after that... week 1 seems like a bad dream.

From time to time, I check the interwebs for Insanity success stories. There are some out there. Unfortunately more stories like "I've been doing this for a couple of weeks and it isn't working or I haven't lost weight..."
For the most part these failures are simply diet I'd bet. If you don't measure your caloric intake, you can't say for sure what the issue is. The rest I'd guess are days skipped and lack of effort. It's simple math. There's no secret.
I know people want the easy way out... but I'm not sure why they'd buy Insanity then. It certainly doesn't claim to be anything other than demanding relentless effort. No lie there.

It's going to be more difficult in the next few weeks. I'll be traveling and this will force me to plan and be extra prepared: taking my DVDs on the road and working out in hotel rooms.  I'll do it though... I know I'm not half way there yet, but it feels like it... and I can't wait to start the next block with the new DVDs.
In the meantime I'll just keep getting better at the ones I do... It's still plenty challenging and there are a couple of workouts that I still can't finish to the end without muscle fail and a couple of 5 second breaks (especially the end of Pure Cardio)...

So day 23 today and looking forward to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment